By Arthur Orchid

Have you ever experienced people giving you more advices that you really wanted?

I almost sure you had...

At these times people mean well; however there bombardment of thought and ideas can be more detrimental then helpful. I experienced this recently when I left my job and career of twenty five years to do something different. I had worked as a social worker for that time span and was feeling that I needed to take a break from the emotional turmoil of dealing with other peoples issues, crisis’s and problems on a day to day basis. I hate the term burned out, but I guess that is what I was.

I wanted to do something completely different. I knew I had skills in many areas; however when you do not have the experience or education to back that up it is hard to convince a perspective employer to give you an interview. I was trying to come up with small business ideas so I could be self employed.

When I mentioned this to people they either discouraged me by stating all the headaches that go with self employment, or they told me a number of small business ideas that they had considered. Although some of the advice was sound, I wanted this venture to be mine. Through the years I have done many different crafts. Working with yarns, beads and the sewing machine was my way of working through the stress of dealing with people all day long.

There have been many times when people have seen my handiwork and have told me that I could sell my creations. I had given away a great share of the things that I had made as gifts; however I had many pieces of jewelry, several quilts, multiple quilted pillows and several afghans.

I had also started making knit purses as well as canvas bags. Of all the small business ideas that I had considered the idea of a craft boutique was the one that I thought was the most feasible. I thought I could have my own things displayed, have an area for consignment craft items and a line of quality gift items. I also love to bake so I thought I could sell baked items in addition to the other things.

We live in a resort area so there are many visitors that come to the area. A small town four miles from our house has several gift shops and has specialized in drawing people to the community with special shopping event through the year. I spoke with several of the business owners about my small business ideas.

They thought a shop like this would be a great compliment to the existing shops. There was a space to rent that had a kitchen area that has passed state inspection where I could make the baked goods.

I have decided that I am going to rent the space for six months and see what happens. If things do not go well I will not be out a great deal of money and if they take off I will extend the lease. It will be a nice change of pace.

To Your Success!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 commentaires

  1. Anonymous // August 29, 2008 9:01 pm  

    Nice post. I'd like to be self-employed, and I've been thinking about running my own business soon. I'll have to keep this post in mind. Instead of starting one from scratch, I've also been thinking about buying a business instead of starting one from scratch, even if it isn't home-based. Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks.

  2. Arthur Orchid // August 30, 2008 12:43 am  

    Hi KZ,

    Thanks for your comment.

    Indeed, you have to consider what you like and dislike to discover what activity suits best on your case.

    I suggest you to read the comments of this article to find good starting points:
    http://100dollarsdaily.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-start-business.html

    Regards,
    AO.

  3. Anonymous // September 02, 2008 5:10 pm  

    Thanks for your help, Arthur. I'll have to read that article soon. I did find a potential business on BizTrader.com, but I still need to do more research. Anyway, thanks again!

  4. Arthur Orchid // September 02, 2008 8:39 pm  

    Hi KZ,

    You're welcome!
    Wishing you all the best!

    AO.